Saturday, November 15, 2014

Inspiration

Today, Sir Coolman showed me an image of a curly-headed boy. He was sitting on the floor, at home, a skinny picture book in his hands. He was trying, and failing, to whisper read the words in the book, which looked to be at about a second grade level.  But he was no second grade child. He was a middle school student. I could see that because he had plenty of items labeled with his school's name. 

"You see that young man, dear?"

"Yes," I told him.

"Well, there are another 30 million like him, not all in America's united states, have you; but still just as much in need."

"It's so sad."

Sir Coolman glared at me. "Well, that's a cop-out way of referring to this poor child's condition."

"What did you want me to say? At least he has cool clothes?"

Sir Coolman's emotions flared, but he quickly calmed himself. "What I expected you to say was that you wanted to help in some way."

"Of course I would like to help him, and all the others. But I'm just one person."

He smiled. "Yes, I can both count and compare values, darling. You are one person, but you have the power to reach as many struggling readers as you desire." 

"Oh? What, did you come with a wand I never noticed before?" I laughed.

"You don't need a wand, dear. You're a storyteller. And storytellers have a source of power stronger than any wand: your mind."

I was feeling goofy, so we went back and forth for a while. But I couldn't get his words out of my head. So, I decides to act.

Believe me, you'll want to check back soon.

No comments: