Saturday, September 24, 2011

Social Networking for Academics

If there's one thing I've noticed, it's the fact that middle school students are absolutely nuts about online social networking. The Facebook craze has been so powerful in its influence of the culture that it is responsible for many new problems, such as cyber-bullying. Despite its cons, it's here to stay, for a while at least. So, rather than simply pretend that it doesn't exist, why not incorporate it in the classroom? I've been conducting a little research on this very topic, the results of which have not been as exciting as I had hoped. While much of what I've found is very informative, I haven't found the bells-and-whistles sites I'd hoped for, ones with example sites and illustrated pdfs and the like. So, until I find more or am willing to use my own brain power, however, I'm stuck with what's available. Here are some of the really good links I've found so far.

100 Ways You Should be Using Facebook in Your Classroom
10 Tips for Using Facebook in the Classroom
Using Facebook in the Classroom
Start the New Year Using Social Media
Drive Belonging and Engagement in the Classroom (A PDF file)
Examining the Use of Facebook in the Classroom (A YouTube video)
13 Enlightening Case Studies of Social Media in the Classroom
Social Media Classroom: New Web 2.0 Platform for Education
Teachers Embracing Social Media in the Classroom

No comments: