Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Gross!

Since we can't so easily bring an oven into the classroom, my group decided on making a
science-based project as a way to involve a classroom in mastering the concepts of measurement. Our task?
SLIME!!!!!


The slime we made was fantastic! In this photo, my friend is holding out a hand full of glop.


There are numerous recipes spread across the globe for slime. But they are not all the same. Some are indeed better than others. I followed a recipe with a friend of mine and discovered that he has one of the best recipes around. The photo above shows what it looked like right after making it. It's easy to make, forms almost instantly, and, from our experience, doesn't stain clothes.


Here is his recipe for slime...

Materials
Borax
5 oz. bottle of CLEAR Elmer's glue
warm water
cool water
food coloring (optional)
3 disposable bowls

In order to make this kind of slime, you need to make two different mixtures.

Glue Mixture
Mix one half cup of cool water and half a bottle of glue together in a disposable bowl.
(If you want to add color, add a drop of food coloring to this solution.)

Borax Mixture
Mix one half cup of warm water and one table spoon of Borax in a different disposable bowl.


After you have created both mixtures, mix one half cup of the glue mixture with one sixth cup of the Borax Mixture in the third disposable bowl.

After combining, stir, stir, stir! The more you stir, the better the texture of the slime.



In addition to the grossness, we're also doing Lego towers and yesterday's mini cartoon. I sure hope our class enjoys what we've got for them.

2 comments:

Jenny Melzer said...

Oooh. I am definitely bookmarking this recipe for slime. I want to make it. If I do get a chance to before summer is out, and I write about it on KidWonderful.com, I will make sure I link to and credit you with the inspiration! Thanks for sharing this awesome, disgusting slimey goodness!

Zezebel said...

Why don't you make a video on how to make this slime? It will be easy for me to understand.