Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History!

I'm so excited about the inauguration.


I shed some tears today as Barack Obama was sworn in. It was just so overwhelming. I could certainly tell that not everyone was happy about it. The children were so excited, and they were screaming and clapping and cheering. I was very happy for them to be a part of it all. But I know that they could feel the subtle resentment of some of their teachers. When you're a child, you really do want the adults in your life, and everyone you know to rejoice with you when you're happy.

Like it or not, he is president. For anyone who is not pleased with this, the best thing to do is not to harbor bitterness. Especially when you are working with children, your feelings are usually much more visible than you might imagine. This is history in the making, and snub little remarks can completely deflate the positive impact that this event could have upon a child, especially a young black child.

Anyone in the field of teaching does so because they love children. But love is more than simple affection. It also implies doing what is best for the children.

2 comments:

Afronuts said...

Oookay!

I need to ask one bugging question...are you black or white?

'Cause ur illustration seems to say you're Afro-american

Retinna Bell said...

I'm multi-ethnic..meaning I'm African-American.