Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Statistically Speaking

Sometimes a seemingly tiny event can seem to burst into a geyser of the unexpected. I almost dropped my purse again this morning when I saw yesterday’s phrase taped to the door on a flyer. I read it to learn that the school board is offering a scholarship to employees. People with a two-year degree are favored as potential recipients, and the deadline was … today!

I procrastinate like it’s my profession. But unlike me, I pulled my cell phone from my overstuffed purse, and dialed the phone number on the paper. To my surprise I heard a voice.

“May I help you?”

I dropped my purse. Pens, cough drop wrappers, receipts, and hair scattered over the floor. I struggled to scoop the mess back into my purse and talk to whomever was on the other end of the phone. “Yes! I…I’m calling about the scholarship,” I told the voice

“Are you presently a school board employee?” it asked.

“Yes, I am.”

“Your name, please?”

I told her my name, the school I worked at, how long I’d been there, what I did there, and where I was as far as getting a bachelor’s degree. “Thank you for your interest. You’ll be hearing from a representative very shortly.”

You’ve GOT to be kidding me. This is beyond irony. It’s beyond coincidence. It must be destiny.

Take the plunge, while you still can.

No comments: