Monday, August 11, 2008

Glimmer

For the past ten years, I have awakened each morning, jumped on to my human hamster wheel and set off on a race to the end of the day. Not on the same job, but the same squeaky, uneventful wheel. The same track to nowhere.

When I woke up this morning, I had no reason to believe that today would be any different from the mundane everyday rut I’m used to. I jumped into the shower, said good morning to the spider that lives between my bathtub and the window, dressed, and grabbed an untoasted toaster pastry before leaving the house and making a mad dash to the elementary school where I’ve worked for the past two years.

But today, as I left the front office where I clock before heading to the classroom, I noticed a small scrap of paper on the ground. Trying to be an unseen Samaritan, I picked it up to throw it away, when a captivating phrase caught my eye:


“Take the plunge, while you still can.”


Seven words are enough to change a life.

As if I don’t have enough clutter, I stuffed the slip in my bulging purse, stuck it in the little opening that reminds me the zipper is broken. I hoped it would inspire me to do something with this chance I have to live. It’s the only one I’ve got; and it’s only good for a limited time.

No comments: