Sunday, August 15, 2010

Humility + Encouragement = Self-Improvement

I read a post tonight on a blog for teachers called The Teaching Professor. I fell in love with the words and concepts expressed on the pages, and was really engrossed in the beauty I found there when I thought of something: What is my writing compared to this?

Since I was in the second grade, I've been known for my writing. But a few short semesters ago, I had to call on God to help me when my arrogance got in the way of my performance.

Self-Discovery of the Day: I've notice that I have a habit of thinking too much of myself in ways that I shouldn't, and not enough of my abilities in areas where I should feel some level of confidence.

Anyway, I was feeling childish. Compared to the eloquent diction used on those pages, my writing seemed like an introduction to phonemic awareness. But then, as if it had been waiting for just the right moment, a comment I received from acclaimed artist Vanessa Brantley Newton on an earlier post I'd written jumped into my head. She told me:

I love your writers voice. Sometimes it take people forever to develop it. It's wonderful.

It was seemingly simple, but I didn't realize the reason for which it was tucked away in my heart: encouragement for the future.

On that very same day, I received more encouragement from a favorite blogger of mine named Doug.

Wow! How enchanting! Tales of the looking glass. I think I just had an 'Aha' moment! Are you planning to write a book by any chance? A childrens book perhaps?


As I continued reading the post of The Teaching Professor, I was surprised when the author questioned her own writing skills in comparison to those of a colleague. The very same writing that I felt was the apex of ability included a question about its legitimacy. And then, she wrote something that she had used to encourage herself. I haven't requested permission to quote, so I'll just say that she asked herself why she even bothered writing when compared to the other individual. She said that she continued because she could always be better.

Humility is important. Without it, we will never see our faults. If we never see our faults, we can never improve upon them.

No comments: