Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mirror, mirror...


Even though it was not so friendly to the earth, and even though gas is expensive, I took a joy ride today. Glee danced around inside my chest as I enjoyed looking at the palatial homes that lined the river road. It was during this drive that, for some reason, I remembered my assignment for Dr. Sidrax. And it was at this moment that I noticed a small yard sale (tag sale for those not accustomed to my regional vernacular) stretched across the lawn of a small gray castle. I stopped and looked at various knick-knacks before an older woman approached me. “Looking for anything particular, honey?” she asked.

“Would you happen to have a mirror?”

“One of the finest,” she assured me as she turned to show me the way. “Been in the family for more than a hundred years.”

“Wow,” I gasped. My mind immediately went to the price of such an item, and I remembered that we weren’t allowed to purchase the mirror. I wasn’t quite sure of anything I had that could be used to barter for such a relic.

We stopped in front of a small, redwood chest of drawers. She reached into the top right drawer and pulled out a long box which she handed to me. “Go ahead and see if it’s to your liking.”

I opened the box and was astonished by the object I saw inside. An enormous glass was encircled by a halo of rubies, garnets, framed by golden roses and leaves, all the way down to the gilded, golden handle. I was almost certain that it was not simply shimmering, but sparkling. “It’s beautiful,” I whispered.

As I looked at myself in the mirror, something strange happened. I’m not exactly sure what was going on, especially after all of the strange things that have been taking place recently. But it appeared, for just an instant, that the face I saw was not my own. It startled me, catching the eye of the woman. To save face, I pretended to be concerned with the price. “I couldn’t possibly afford something this nice.”

She crept closer to me, so close I could smell the eggs on her breath. “You saw it, didn’t you?” she whispered. I nodded. “In that case, take it. It’s yours.”

I looked back down at the mirror. “But…I don’t understand. I mean…”

“I’ve been trying to find it a new owner. It’s yours if you ask no questions.”

“Thank you. Thank you so much.”

“Just treat it well, and enjoy it.”

“I will,” I assured her.

I will.

1 comment:

CMZ Art/ Rustic Goth said...

Wonderful post. It reminds me that I have some work to do myself. Thanks for sharing.